You are using an outdated browser. For a faster, safer browsing experience, upgrade for free today.


Students who are admitted and register for courses at Lander University are financially responsible for fees and charges associated with those courses. Therefore, students are encouraged to complete all courses for which they register. In the event it becomes necessary for a student to drop one or more courses or completely withdraw from the University, an adjustment may be made.

Warning! Withdrawing from the University may be costly. It may affect the student's financial as well as academic status.

DO NOT stop attending classes and leave campus without officially withdrawing from the university.  Professors are required to report a student’s last date of attendance for those students who do not successfully complete their class. This unofficial withdrawal date will be used to adjust financial aid eligibility. There are no adjustments to charges for students who unofficially withdraw. Oftentimes, these financial aid adjustments result in balances owed that must be repaid before a student is allowed to return for a subsequent semester or request an academic transcript.

Official Withdrawal

Withdrawal from a Course

Before the last day to add/drop students may drop a course completely without academic or financial penalty each semester. After the add/drop deadline, students may withdraw from a course without academic penalty (earn a grade of W) but there is no reduction in tuition and fees. Please see the Academic Calendar for add/drop deadlines.


Withdrawal from the University

Students who find it necessary to withdraw from all classes must complete and submit an "Official Withdrawal and/or Temporary Leave Form" with the Registrar’s Office. Complete withdrawal after the drop deadline will result in grades of W for all registered course work. Students may not completely withdraw following the last day of classes. A student who completely withdraws from the University during a semester must submit a new application for admission in order to be readmitted to the University unless the student requests and is granted a temporary leave. International students must seek advisement from the international student advisor PRIOR to withdrawal to discuss immigration and implications of withdrawal from school. Individual course drops or withdrawals are not refundable.

Refund Schedule & Policy

When a student officially withdraws from (all classes) the University before the end of a fall or spring semester, voluntarily or through dismissal, the University fees (tuition) will be refunded as follows:

  • Last day for registration and drop/add - 100%
  • Before expiration of 10% of the semester - 90%
  • Before expiration of 25% of the semester - 50%
  • Before expiration of 50% of the semester - 25%

Students receiving Federal Direct Loans, Federal Plus Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, Pell Grants or Federal SEOG Grants are governed by a federally mandated pro-rata return of Title IV Fund regulation if they withdraw prior to completing 60% of the term.

Refunds/returns are distributed in the following order:

  1. Unsubsidized Direct Loan
  2. Subsidized Direct Loan
  3. Perkins Loan
  4. Direct Grad Plus Loan
  5. Direct Part Plus Loan
  6. Pell Grant
  7. Federal SEOG
  8. State funded scholarships and grants
  9. Personally guaranteed payment.

The date on which a student files a written notice of withdrawal with the Office of the Registrar, is the date used in determining refunds. Conditions for refunds of room and board and breakage deposits are listed on the residence hall contract.

No refunds or reductions of basic charges will be made due to a change in status (e.g., from full-time student to part-time student) after the last day for registration and drop/add for each fall or spring semester. For Summer School, no refund of tuition and fees will be made after 5 p.m. on the second day of class. No reductions from any charge are made for holidays or for absence from the University.

A boarding student will pay full charges for meals, regardless of the number of meals taken in the dining hall. In order to receive academic credits, grade reports, transcript of record or degree, a student’s indebtedness to the University must be settled, and the student must account satisfactorily for all property trusted to the student’s care.

Any outstanding balance due to the University after the student ceases to be enrolled is subject to referral for collection. The student will be responsible for the fees of any collection agency, which may be based on a percentage at the maximum of 33.3% of the debt, and all costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney fees necessary for the collection of this debt.