You are using an outdated browser. For a faster, safer browsing experience, upgrade for free today.
Social Security Number

A Social Security Number is a number assigned to you by the United States Social Security Administration It is only assigned to individuals who are authorized to work in the United States and, in the case of F-1 students, also have an offer of employment. In order to report your wages earned annually on-campus to the U.S. Government, you must have a Social Security Number.

In addition, the State of South Carolina requires you to have a Social Security Number before you can apply for a driver's license. For an F-2 dependent driver's license, a letter from the Social Security Administration is required stating the dependent is not eligible for a Social Security Number.


How to Apply

To apply for a Social Security Number, you must provide the Social Security Office with original documents showing your age, identity, immigration status and proof that Lander has authorized you to work either on- or off-campus.

Students on F-1 visas need:

A completed Social Security application, an employment offer letter from Lander University stamped and signed by the Work Study Coordinator and the Office of International Programs, your passport, visa, I-94 card and your I-20 to apply.

Local Social Security Office:

115 Enterprise Court
Greenwood, SC 29646
(864) 223-1711



Driver's License

To apply for or renew a driver's license, or to change the local address on the license, the following documents must be presented to the S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):

  • Passport, visa and I-94 card
  • SEVIS I-20
  • Certificate of Enrollment at Lander University which lists student's current local address
  • Social Security card or letter from the Social Security Administration indicating the applicant is not eligible for a Social Security Number.

Local Motor Vehicles Division:

510 W. Alexander Ext.
Greenwood , SC 29646
(864) 227-6434