You are using an outdated browser. For a faster, safer browsing experience, upgrade for free today.

Lander University values and appreciates the diversity that students with disabilities bring to the university.

Working in partnership with faculty, staff, and administration, the goal of the Office of Disabilities is to promote an accessible, inclusive, and fully integrated university experience for students with disabilities and ensure they are able to participate in all aspects of university life. Empowering students to realize their academic potential is central to the work that we do.


The laws concerning the rights and responsibilities of the University regarding students with disabilities differ from those you've navigated in high school. You'll be responsible for voluntarily disclosing your disability, providing documentation and requesting appropriate accommodations. These may be different from those you received in high school.

In college, you'll advocate for yourself. We offer a student handbook that outlines your rights and responsibilities and prepares you for your greater role in managing your education and accommodations. Though the services may change, it's important you inform us about your past, so we're able to provide the right support.

Confidentiality & Release Information

Parents and guardians are a critical component to all aspects of the educational trajectory, however, that involvement does shift once a student becomes 18 years of age and is admitted to a college or university. At that time, parents and guardians are not legally allowed access to a student's educational information. The Federal Education and Right to Privacy Act (FERPA) allows for the release of private and confidential information to specified persons. Families are allowed to access information if a student has signed a release of information form.

Common Accommodations

Lander University is committed to providing students with equitable access and participation in academics and other programs sponsored by the University as mandated by federal law. The process for granting accommodations to qualified students with documented disabilities is managed by the Director of Disability Services.

Faculty should only implement accommodations approved by the Director of Disability Services, who will provide students with a letter describing approved classroom accommodations. Students are responsible for notifying their professors of use of accommodations.

By law, disability and accommodation information should be kept private, and only shared with University personnel who have a legitimate educational need to know.

Typical accommodations provided by our office include:

  • Advocacy services
  • Testing accommodations
  • Note-taking services
  • Assistive technology
  • Eligibility determination for housing accommodations
  • Eligibility determination for service and assistance animals on campus
  • Course substitutions for math and foreign language requirements

Process for Requesting Accommodations

The Office of Disabilities provides accommodations for qualified students with disabilities. Reasonable accommodations are provided on a case-by-case basis and must pertain to the functional limitations of the disability upon the individual. To establish a case you must complete the Intake Form. This will be reviewed by the Director of Disability Services to set-up the initial intake appointment. For additional information, please see the Requesting Disability Services Checklist (PDF).

Housing Accommodations

Housing and Residence Life provides a variety of housing options. The majority of rooms in the residence halls are double occupancy and a few are equipped to meet the needs of students with disabilities. Students requiring single room occupancy may request a private room. Students with disabilities should request housing needs as soon as they are admitted to the university. All documentation is due to the Office of Disability Services by March 1. Documentation submitted later will be considered and Lander University will make a good faith effort to provide reasonable accommodations, but may not be able to guarantee that appropriate residential provisions will be completed within that semester.

Students requesting housing accommodations need to meet with the Office of Disabilities and submit all necessary documentation as soon as possible to secure the requested accommodation. Late submissions will receive housing accommodations only if space becomes available.


  1. Contact Disability Services to register for services and begin the process to determine reasonable housing accommodations. Students must complete a Housing Accommodation Request Form (PDF).
  2. The student must provide Disability Services with professional documentation addressing specific functional impairments requiring housing adjustments.
  3. If determined eligible for housing accommodations, Disability Services will submit a Housing Accommodation Approval form to the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
  4. Students who are determined eligible by Disability Services for housing adjustments should contact Housing and Residence Life to determine available housing options.

Important information regarding special accommodation requests:

  • The fact of medical diagnosis does not guarantee or automatically qualify the student for a special or priority room assignment.
  • Lander University provides many types of housing in multiple residence halls. Statements or recommendations from your physician or treating medical professional should not be interpreted as automatic approval of a specific housing accommodation or room assignment.
  • Housing and Residence Life is unable to provide special housing accommodations based solely on a diagnosis. The impact of the diagnosis and best practices will be reviewed for housing accommodations.
  • Disability or specific medical need will take priority over residence hall preference.
  • Accommodations are provided to the individual student, if approved, not to her/his group or preferred roommates. The student is required to assess the importance and significance of the accommodation versus preference of roommate(s) or residence hall.

  • Single-occupancy rooms are very limited in on-campus housing, and may not be recommended except in cases involving clear and substantiated need.

Temporary Disabilities

Temporary disabilities are not covered by Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Personal care cannot be provided for temporary disabilities such as a broken ankle, wrist, etc. However, consultation, assistance with obtaining support, and other relevant information can be provided through this office. Documentation may be required.

Course Substitutions

In some cases, a specific learning disability can interfere with a student's successful completion of a course (e.g., foreign language and mathematics courses). Appropriate documentation from a psychologist that specifically addresses this issue is required. Course substitutions cannot be permitted if the course is determined essential to a student's major.