You are using an outdated browser. For a faster, safer browsing experience, upgrade for free today.
Answers to the most common questions.

Procurement Questions

Procurement is the acquisition of goods and services from an external source at the best possible cost to meet the needs of the end user.  Procurement Services is responsible for internal controls to assure that Lander University adheres to the SC Consolidated Procurement Code, which determines our level of certification.  We help you purchase what you need for your department by creating purchase orders from requisitions.

A requisition is the form used to request exactly what your department wants to purchase.  Typically, it contains a description and quantity of the goods or services to be purchased, a required delivery date, account number and the amount of money that the purchasing department is authorized to spend for the purchase.  It requires your department’s Banner index number, the G/L code number and signature of the department head.  This form can be found on the Business Office website and Procurement Services website.

  • Vendor name                                     
  • *****Vendor ID or FEIN (if known)  
  • Vendor address
  • Vendor phone and fax number
  • Quantity and detailed description of what you want to order
  • Cost per item
  • 7% South Carolina sales tax
  • Freight and/or Shipping costs
  • Department Banner number and account code
  • Appropriate authorization signature(s)

The purchase order is a legal and binding agreement between Lander University and the vendor.  Procurement Services is the only office authorized to issue a purchase order on behalf of the University.

Yes.  Tape the original (copy not acceptable) receipt to standard letter size copy paper. If the purchase is more than $50.00 attach the receipt page to a completed requisition and submit to Procurement Services. Be sure to include your Lander ID number and CPO or mailing address on the requisition. If the purchase is under $50.00 take the receipt page directly to the Business Office.

Any State agency may make direct procurements above $50,000 only if they are certified to do so by the Materials Management Office in accordance with the provisions of the Procurement Code.  The Materials Management Office shall conduct a thorough review of the agency's internal procurement procedures for all areas of procurement designated by the code.  Subject to the findings of that review, the Materials Management Office may authorize the agency to make direct procurements up to an assigned dollar limit for certain commodities and services.  All certified procurements shall be subject to the appropriate provisions of the code and regulations, especially regarding competitive procurement methods, non-restrictive specifications, and audit requirements and findings.

As of June 2010 it is $200,000.  This means requisitions for any purchase costing more than $200,000 must be sent to State Procurement in Columbia for processing.

It is a state requirement. If a vendor is on state contract it means that the state has already done the leg work.  They seek vendors willing to give state agencies the lowest prices on goods and services.  Items purchased on state contract regardless of the cost are exempt from State Procurement Code Regulations. 

When a purchase is made by any person without the requisite authority to do so by an appointment of delegation under the South Carolina Consolidated Procurement Code is an unauthorized procurement. Any unauthorized purchase must be ratified.

Ratification is a written determination concerning the facts and circumstances surrounding the act, the corrective action taken to prevent recurrence, action against the individual responsible for the commitment, and documentation that the price paid is fair and reasonable.  If an unauthorized procurement occurs, it will be reviewed initially by the Director of Procurement Services, followed by the VP for Business and Administration and finally, the President of the University.  Now as a result of the 2007 regulations change and approval by the State General Assembly any ratification must be reported to the State.

Procurement requirements must not be artificially divided so as to constitute a small purchase. For instance if you need items that will total more than the credit card transaction limit of $2,500; you may not purchase half now and half next week or next month.

Purchases costing less that $2,500 should be made with the VISA card.  Procurement will not create a purchase order for items costing less than $2,500.  Exceptions are made when a vendor does not accept credit cards; a requisition must be submitted.

You must solicit at least 3 written quotes from qualified sources.  Quote forms can be found on the procurement website.  You will complete a requisition for the vendor that quotes the lowest price; attach all the quotes and submit to Procurement Services.  A non- responsive vendor can also count as 1 of the 3 solicitations if you include proof that they declined to quote to show evidence of competition.

Complete a requisition with the exception of listing a source and submit to Procurement Services.  Procurement Services must solicit written quotes from qualified sources.  This procurement must be advertised at least once in the South Carolina Business Opportunities publication.  

VISA Purchasing Card Questions

New card request form for a purchasing card can be found on Procurement Services web page. Forms must be approved by the department head. Departments should provide the name of the liaison (if any) to whom cardholder will be assigned. The Banner index number must be provided. Approved request forms are sent to the purchasing card coordinator in Procurement Services.

Employee and departmental Liaison must attend a training session prior to taking possession of the purchasing card. Each individual must sign a cardholder agreement in the presence of the University’s Purchasing Card Coordinator.

You must keep all monthly bank statements; attach all proofs of purchase, i.e., sales slips, register receipts, web order proofs for audit purposes.  Be sure that your proof of purchase/receipt shows shipping and taxes.

All credit card records are the property of the department for which you work.  If you leave or transfer within the university these records must remain in your former department.

After 5 full years records should be shredded by the University’s official shredding company. Drop off boxes are provided in the Business Office and Registrar’s Office.

You are expected to write what the purchase is if the receipt does not specifically identify what the item is.

Usually an 800 number is provided on your bank statement; you may call and request a duplicate.  Works also gives Vendor contact information.

Anything needed to sustain your department. You may purchase supplies, repairs, services, airline tickets; pay membership dues and fees and official subscriptions and periodicals.

No. Hotels must be handled as travel thru the Finance Office or paid by personal card and reimbursed. This is statutory limitation by the State of South Carolina and not a Lander decision.

No; with two exceptions.  Yes if the food is for students. If the students are not an organized group a list of students names must be submitted. Yes if 75% of the attendees are employees of other agencies or from outside organizations. Restaurants are a blocked merchant type therefore the card will be declined.

Report a lost or stolen card to Bank of America immediately then call Procurement Services. Procurement Services must have your card replaced.

Surplus Property Questions

Custodial services will move the property with the proper forms attached to central receiving.

Procurement Services must seek State approval to hold a surplus property sale. We must advertise the sale to the public two weeks prior to holding the sale.