The city of Greenwood is about to expand as hundreds of new residents move into their new homes in anticipation of attending classes at Lander University.
The university's Fall 2018 semester kicks off with enrollment numbers projected at approximately 3,000 students. About 60 percent of those college students plan to live on campus in one of the residence halls near the heart of Uptown Greenwood. The other 40% will commute from residential homes inside county lines or travel from surrounding counties on a daily basis to attend classes.
The economic gain of college students on local businesses can be felt across the community, as undergrads shop, eat and play during leisure times outside of the classroom. In addition to recreation, students donate their talents, skills and muscle power volunteering for nonprofits and charitable causes. Many depend on a part-time or full-time job to pay for tuition or living expenses and often turn to the very businesses they frequent the most. It's a cycle that benefits both the community and college students.
University officials anticipate nearly 900 undergraduates to move in on Wednesday, Aug. 15 during Freshman Move-In Day. Upperclassmen return the following day, with classes beginning on Monday, Aug 20. The official academic calendar is available at www.lander.edu.