General Questions

Why would I want to study abroad?

To learn about yourself and become more self-aware. To boost your self-confidence and independence. To learn another language. To learn about your own country through other eyes. To expand your worldview. To strengthen your adaptability, communications, and team-building skills. To enhance your career opportunities. To experience another culture first-hand and enhance your cross-cultural competence. To make new friends from around the world.

Why does Lander promote study abroad?

Lander University believes in the personal and professional value of international experience, and so makes available high quality academic and service opportunities overseas for all Lander students. These opportunities allow students to enrich their knowledge, develop new skills, and enhance their potential to live a meaningful life as a neighbor and as a global citizen.

Is it safe?

In a word, yes. There have been no cases of serious injury or illness among the more than 200 Lander students who have studied abroad since 2005. We will not sanction study in countries that are considered by the US Department of State to be unsafe, and we do not recommend study at universities that do not provide support services for visiting international students.

When can I study abroad?

You must have completed at least one semester at Lander to participate in a faculty-led Study Tour or two semesters to participate in a semester abroad program. The best time to spend a semester abroad is almost always during your sophomore or junior year. This is because you can easily take general education and elective courses at a foreign university, but courses in your major may be more difficult to arrange. Talk to your advisor as early as possible about fitting study abroad into your curriculum.

What academic qualifications do I need to study abroad?
  • You must have a 3.0 GPA to study at the University of Winchester; if you attend Winchester, you should be prepared to read a lot and write some long papers.
  • A 2.5 or higher GPA is required for participation in the programs offered by Lander's affiliated third-party program providers (ASA, USCA, CIEE, and GlobaLinks). See their websites for detailed information.
  • You must have a 2.5 GPA to participate in Lander-sponsored short-term overseas Study Tours.
Can you give me some financial advice that would help me to make study abroad affordable?

Talk to returning Lander students about their expenses abroad. An overseas semester may begin later than a Lander semester, so try to hold on to your summer job or Christmas job an extra month. Avoid signing year-long apartment leases or new cell-phone contracts. Remember that you will have no automobile expenses abroad and your family may be able to drop you from their auto insurance while you are away. Ask family members to give you cash for birthdays and Christmas. NOTE: We recommend that you take both a debit card and a credit card. Keep in mind that many cards charge substantial fees for transactions in a foreign currency, so read the fine print on your credit card and debit card agreements and change banks if necessary.

Can you clarify what exchange rate means?

The exchange rate tells you how much you must pay in US dollars to buy another currency such as euros, yen, or British pounds. For any currency, you can find the interbank exchange rate—which is constantly changing—on any number of websites. Always use your ATM card to get cash while abroad in order to get the interbank exchange rate. If you see a currency exchange counter in an airport or store that has a sign "No Fees," do not believe it. They simply adjust their posted exchange rates.

Semester-Abroad Questions

Where can I study abroad for a semester or a year?

Almost anywhere you wish! Lander has institutional agreements with selected schools in England, France, Spain, Chile, Austria, and Greece. In addition, Lander is affiliated with Academic Studies Abroad (ASA), the University Study Abroad Consortium (USAC), with the Council for International Educational Exchange (CIEE), and with GlobaLinks Learning Abroad (GlobaLinks). See their websites for more information. If after reviewing these programs you feel that you are interested in taking a “road less traveled,” we will be happy to assist you in finding a program that fits your needs and interests.

Talk to the Director of Study Abroad. Contact to make an appointment.

Will courses taken at an institution abroad count at Lander?

Yes. Before taking courses abroad you will discuss them with your advisor to be sure that the courses will fit into your curriculum. Then you will file a Transfer of International Credit form with the Office of the Registrar at Lander. You must make a C or better in each course taken from an institution abroad in order for credit to transfer to Lander. Your Lander GPA will not be affected by coursework taken at an institution abroad, but your LIFE scholarship GPA and your overall GPA will be affected.

How expensive is it to study abroad for a semester?

Several of the most popular Lander semester abroad programs cost roughly the same as a semester on campus. Our least expensive semester program is at the University of the Aegean in Rhodes, Greece. Tuition and fees, room and board, books, visa, and airfare total about $10,000. A semester at our most popular destination, Winchester University in England, totals about $10,750. A semester in Madrid, Spain, totals about $11,000. In fact, Lander offers more than ten semester abroad opportunities that cost less than a semester on campus!

Many other popular destinations cost less than $15,000. These programs in England and Scotland, France and Spain, Italy and Germany, the Czech Republic, Israel, South Africa, and Japan are a tremendous bargain!

At the higher end of the spectrum, a semester in New Zealand, Ireland, or Australia can run as high as $20,000.

Comparable costs here at Lander for the Fall 2018 semester are $11,500 for tuition and fees, room, meal plan, and books. (Please note that personal expenses vary widely and are not included in any of the estimates given here.)

What about my financial aid?

If you take 12-15 hours (a full course load), Lander will automatically register you for Lander's IDSA 301 course for that number of hours. Lander will bill you for the semester, according to the fees charged by the school overseas. Your regular financial aid will apply just like when you are taking classes on campus. Please note, however, that financial aid is subject to a complex set of rules set forth by the Federal and State governments, by Lander University, and by individual scholarship donors. You will need to discuss your particular financial aid situation with the Office of Financial Aid.

Are scholarships available?

Yes. See the Director of Study Abroad.

Study Tour Questions

Where have recent Study Tours gone?

In the last three years, Lander faculty have led Study Tours to England, Scotland, Ireland, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Greece, Germany, Austria, Prague, Spain, Guatemala, Honduras, China, and Korea. Topics of study have included literature, visual art, art history, Montessori education, Nazi history, death and dying, war and nationalism, pilgrimage, Asian cultures, and medical missions.

How expensive are the Winter Break or Spring Break Study Tours led by Lander faculty?

The most common case is an 8 to 10 day study tour to Europe or Latin America costing about $2500 for travel expenses. Tuition is usually included in the normal spring semester tuition.

How expensive are the Summer Study Tours led by Lander faculty?

The most common case is a two-week study tour to Europe or Latin America costing between $2500 and $3500 for the travel expenses. In most cases you will register for the summer class along with your fall classes, and hence pay no extra tuition (unless you are taking a total of over 18 hours).

What about grades?

Study abroad tours led by Lander faculty members comprise regular Lander courses. Credit and grades for these courses are handled in the same way as credit and grades for all other Lander courses.

Are scholarships available?

Unfortunately, they are not.