Student Employment Programs

Students are eligible to work part-time on campus in a variety of settings. Working on campus can provide valuable career experience in addition to helping to offset educational expenses.

Federal Work-Study: Students who are employed and paid under the Federal Work-Study Program must demonstrate financial need by having completed the FAFSA. Anticipated earnings are not applied to student accounts. Rather, students are paid by check biweekly (every two weeks), and are paid at least the federal minimum wage. A Federal Work-Study award does not mean that you are guaranteed a certain amount of earnings, but that you may earn up to a specific total amount.

Institutional Employment ("LANDER WORK"): Students are also able to work part-time under the Lander Work Program. The Lander Work Program is administered in much the same way as the Federal Work-Study Program, with the exception that the students do not have to demonstrate financial need through the FAFSA. All students are paid by check biweekly (every two weeks), and are paid a wage determined by the supervisor based on the position responsibilities.

Steps for applying for jobs on campus:

  1. Select the position(s) in which you are interested by viewing the advertised job openings.
  2. Drop by the Office of Financial Aid, Room 122 in the Carnell Learning Center for a referral if the supervisor requires Federal Work-Study. Your referral form will indicate the maximum Work-Study eligibility available to you. Individual supervisors determine what funds they have available in their budgets to hire student workers.
  3. Once you've received your referral, contact the supervisor of that position for an interview.
  4. If you are hired for the position, bring the completed referral form to the Financial Aid Office.
  5. You must come by the Financial Aid Office to complete an Employment Authorization before you begin work. Supervisors cannot employ you until they have a signed copy of your Employment Authorization. Once you've signed your Authorization, you will receive your time sheets and can begin work.

Note: If this is your first time working at Lander, you will need to bring your driver's license and original Social Security card or birth certificate. For international students, you will need to bring your student passport documenting your student visa status and a copy of your I-20. You will also need to apply for and receive your Social Security card before you begin work. As a limitation of your student visa status, you are limited to working no more than 20 hours/week during periods of enrollment.

NOTE: The above is a cumulative list of supervisors and their contact information. The supervisors on this list may or may not have openings in their department. To see a list of advertised positions, click on the advertised job openings link.

For Supervisors: For information on how to hire a student employee, see our forms page. A special Supervisor section is available at the bottom of the webpage.