Required Documents for Travel

  • Passport, valid at least 6 months after your date of entry into the U.S.
  • US Visa: To reenter the United States your current US Student/Exchange VISA must be valid at the time of reentry.
  • I-20 signed for travel in the past 6 months
  • I-94
  • EAD card, if you are currently on Optional Practical Training (It is also strongly recommended that you have a letter from your employer stating that you are fulfilling the OPT and acknowledging the period of travel.) 
  • Financial certification (not required by law, but you may be asked to present it) 
  • If you plan to travel inside of the United States borders, simply take the above mentioned documents with you
  • If you plan to travel outside of the borders of the United States you may need a visa to enter the country to which you are traveling.  Be sure to check with that country's consulate concerning visa requirements
  • Travel outside of the United States requires a new “travel signature” on your I-20 or DS-2019 by the Office of International Programs; please come by the office two-weeks prior to your departure – do not wait until the last minute to get this completed