Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • How do I apply for campus housing?
    Once the student has been accepted to Lander University request a housing packet from the Department of Housing & Residence Life . Complete the application & return it with a deposit of $175. Please make checks payable to Lander University.
  • When will I receive my room assignment?
    Housing assignments will be mailed out in late July 2010. After this date, any room assignments which are made or if changes occur.
  • Are there penalties for living on campus for the fall semester and moving off in the spring?
    The housing contract is for one academic year consisting of two semesters, fall & spring. If the contract is broken the student will opt for buying out the contract, which is 35% of the housing costs. For more information on this issue please refer to the Housing Contract Terms.
  • How do I report a maintenance request?
    Contact your Resident Assistant who lives in your area. Report any after-hours emergencies to Lander University Police Department at 388-8222.
  • Are pets allowed in the residence halls?
    No, except for fish, pets are not allowed in residence halls due to health reasons.
  • Are there laundry facilities on campus?
    Coin operated washing machines & dryers are located in the residence halls for use by resident students.
  • Do the residence halls have access to Internet connection?
    Yes. However, for more information on this issue please refer to the following link: Computing Services Internet Access for Students
  • Can I smoke in my room?
    No! Lander University is a Tobacco Free Campus. Smoking is not permitted in the residence halls or on campus. Click here to read Lander University Tobacco-Free Campus Policy.
  • How do I request a specific roommate?
    There is a section on the housing contract where you can fill out who you would like to live with. This request must be mutual between the two students. If you have not requested a roommate one will be assigned for you. On the application/contract there is a section where the applicant can list special interest or hobbies. Be as detailed as possible-this helps with the assignment process.
  • What if I want to cancel my housing contract?
    Students who wish to change rooms may do so but any changes must be first approved by a member of the Housing Staff.
  • Do all freshmen live in one residence hall?
    There is not a designated freshmen residence hall. Though, most freshmen resident students are placed in Brookside, Coleman, or Williamston.
  • What if I want to change the order of my residence hall preferences?
    Any changes that need to be made to your housing contract must be put in writing with your name, social security number attached to the request.
  • What do I need to do if I want to cancel my housing contract/application?
    Please refer to the terms of the Housing Contract.
  • How do I report a maintenance problem?
    Your RA (Resident Assistant) is your first point of contact for any problems which may evolve in the resident halls. However, if the RA is unavailable you may contact the Housing Office.
  • How do I obtain my Campus Post Office Box number?
    Go to the Campus Post Office located on the main floor of the Grier Student Center beside the
    Bearcat Shop.
  • What appliances are allowed in the Residence Hall rooms?
    Small refrigerator (less than 3.6 cubic feet) and a small microwave (less than 700 watts)
  • What items will I need to bring on Move-In Day?
    In addition to toiletries and other personal items you will need to bring the following items:
    • Pillow & Pillowcases
    • Twin Bed Sheets (38x80)
    • Twin Bedspread
    • Blanket
    • Bath towels
    • Hairdryer
    • Files: to hold all of your
      important papers, receipts
    • Original Social Security Card
    • Personal Checking Account 
    • Thermometer
    • First Aid Kit
    • Laundry Detergent
    • Laundry Basket
    • Iron with Automatic Shut-Off
    • Television
    • Computer
    • School Supplies
    • Flashlight & Batteries
    • Dictionary
    • Umbrella
    • Silverware
    • Plates
    • Glasses/Mugs
    • Coffee Pot with Automatic Shut-Off
    • Cleaning Supplies
    • What items are NOT allowed in the residence hall rooms?
      The following items are NOT allowed in the Residence Hall rooms:
      • Candles
      • Knives
      • Incense
      • Hot Plates
      • Firearms
      • Alcohol
      • Space Heaters
      • Power Tools
      • Explosives
      • Fireworks
      • Electric Blanket
      • Drum Set
      • Halogen Lamps
      • Extension Cord
      • Water Bed
      • Pets (except fish)
      • Heating Pad
      • Drugs/Drug Paraphernalia
      • Amplifiers with Stereo sets
      • Electrically Amplified Instruments
      • Weightlifting Equipment