A Unique Program Offered Online
All courses in Lander’s M.S. in Emergency Management program are specifically designed for this degree, and all are taught online by faculty with expertise and experience in academics, leadership, and emergency management. Some instructors are full-time faculty at Lander; others are from outside universities and organizations. Some are emergency managers or emergency responders.
Development of the program’s curriculum was a joint effort with prospective government, non-profit and business employers, and governmental agencies, such as FEMA and the National Guard.
Other Features of the Program:
- Requires ten 3 credit hour courses, plus a one-credit hour capstone course.
- Reasonable expectation of completion in two years.
- Up to 9 credit hours of graduate course work may be transferable from another institution on a case-by-case basis.
- Every applicant will be assisted with the application process.
- Practical research projects for your employer or an approved organization, embedded in most courses, create a portfolio of work that demonstrates your proficiency in the field.
The curriculum consists of 6 core courses, 4 elective courses, and 1 required capstone course for a total of 31 credit hours. NOTE: The curriculum has been updated for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Core Courses (6 courses, 18 hrs.)
- EMGT 600: Foundations in Emergency Management - 3 hrs.
- EMGT 605: Preparation and Mitigation - 3 hrs.
- EMGT 615: Response and Recovery - 3 hrs.
- EMGT 630: Business and Economic Continuity - 3 hrs.
- EMGT 635: Emergency Mental Health - 3 hrs.
- EMGT 680: Continuity of Government - 3 hrs.
Elective Courses (any of 4 courses, 12 hrs.)
- EMGT 610: Technology for Emergency Management - 3 hrs.
- EMGT 620: Communications Strategies for Emergency Mgmt. - 3 hrs.
- EMGT 625: Leadership for Emergency Management - 3 hrs.
- EMGT 640: Emergency Management Law - 3 hrs.
- EMGT 670: Hurricane and Weather - 3 hrs.
- EMGT 675: Nuclear Incident Management - 3 hrs.
- EMGT 685: Special Topics in Emergency Management - 3 hrs.
Required Capstone Course (1 hr.)
- EMGT 695: Capstone Course
Program Designed to Fit Your Schedule:
- Courses are planned so that students can finish in 6 terms (two years), taking 2 courses per term (including summer)
- Except for the introductory course and capstone, there is no required sequencing of courses
- All courses were designed specifically for this degree