Dean, College of Business
Lander University is conducting a national search for the next Dean of the College of Business. The College of Business is accredited by AACSB. Through the College, students earn the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting, Financial Services, Health Care Management or Management/Marketing. Lander University seeks a gifted strategic thinker who will lead the College as we offer high demand, market driven programs which prepare graduates for careers or graduate study.
Lander University was founded in 1872 by Methodist clergyman Samuel Lander as Williamston Female College. In 1904, the name was changed to Lander College. In 1973, Lander College came under the control of the Board of Trustees of the State of South Carolina as a state-assisted college. In 1988, the governance of Lander was vested in the Lander College Board of Trustees. In 1992, the Board of Trustees renamed the institution Lander University. Lander University offers over 50 degree programs in four colleges and one school: College of Arts and Humanities; College of Business and Public Affairs; College of Education; College of Science & Mathematics; and School of Nursing.
Lander University is located in Greenwood, SC, with a diversified economy, a variety of public and private schools, 25,000 residents in the town and approximately 67,000 in the county. The climate is moderate. Greenwood is located in the Upstate region of South Carolina within easy driving distance of Atlanta, Augusta, Charlotte, Greenville, Charleston, the Blue Ridge Mountains and the South Carolina Coast.
Lander University is poised to grow, with a new Vision Statement: “A world where all graduates are educated, well rounded and prepared to continue their education or launch their careers.” and a new Mission Statement: “Lander University offers high-demand and market-driven programs to ambitious and talented students in South Carolina and beyond. These programs are delivered in a rich liberal arts environment to produce highly qualified and marketable graduates.”
The College of Business
Our highly engaged faculty teach, advise, and mentor students. Faculty bring exceptional educational and experiential backgrounds to the classroom. Faculty are engaged in professional organizations and are active scholars in their respective fields. Faculty members serve as leaders on the Lander campus, in the profession, and in the Greenwood community.
The College of Business was initially accredited by AACSB in 2004 and has successfully reaffirmed this accreditation twice.
The Dean of the College of Business leads the College in strategic and academic planning and implementation. The Dean serves as chief academic officer for the College and helps the Provost, along with Dean colleagues from the other Colleges, manage the academic affairs of the university. The Dean promotes collegiality within the College as well as excellence in teaching, research, and service. The Dean works with the faculty to develop the strategic plan that helps to accomplish the mission. The Dean works with an advisory board to expand the reach of the College. The Dean manages operating budgets for the College. The Dean works with faculty leaders to plan and implement operational functions of the College including faculty recruitment, retention, and deployment. The Dean performs the annual evaluations of faculty.
Preferred Qualifications and Expectations
The next Dean will possess the following qualifications:
• A terminal degree in a business field, preferably from an AACSB accredited school
• Evidence of continuous scholarly activity
• A strong track record of higher education leadership
• Experience with AACSB accreditation processes
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to build a collaborative environment within the College and across the community
• Fund raising skills
• Ability to promote excellence in teaching, research, and service
The next Dean of the College of Business will be expected to:
• Lead the faculty in academic planning and program expansion, to include an MBA
• Ensure alignment of the College with the university vision and mission
• Partner with the Enrollment Management division of the university to recruit, retain, and graduate high quality students
• Build and maintain a high quality faculty who are passionate about preparing students for careers and graduate school
• Foster community relations to support the College
• Work with staff to prepare reports as required by accrediting bodies and other constituents
• Craft marketing strategies to promote the College.
• Oversee efficient and effective internal operations of the College
• Coordinate with the development arm of the university to initiate and participate in effective fund raising efforts for the College of Business.
The Application Process
Nominations, applications, and inquiries are welcomed and should be submitted to the attention of:
Dr. David Mash
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
320 Stanley Ave
Greenwood, SC 29649
Email submissions welcomed: email@example.com
For questions, please contact Mrs. Melissa Thompson at 864-388-8320.
Lander is a tobacco free institution.
All final candidates are subject to successfully completing background requirements.
Note: The University generally does not sponsor the H-1B Visa.
LANDER UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/TITLE IX.