About Lander University

With a history spanning more than 140 years, Lander University has a long-standing tradition of providing a challenging, enriching education that prepares graduates to lead lives of meaningful activity, of personal satisfaction and of service to others.

Lander University was founded in 1872 by Methodist clergyman Samuel Lander as Williamston Female College in Williamston, S.C. In 1904, the college was relocated to Greenwood, S.C., and renamed Lander College in honor of its founder. Men were admitted in 1943, and the institution is now completely coeducational.

On July 1, 1973, Lander College came under the control of the Board of Trustees of the State Colleges of South Carolina, making Lander a state-assisted college. Effective July 1, 1988, governance of Lander was vested in the Lander College Board of Trustees, and on July 1, 1992, by action of the Board of Trustees, the institution became Lander University.

Today, Lander has a student enrollment of approximately 3,000. The institution offers more than 60 areas of study in the liberal arts and sciences, with professional programs in STEM, education, business and nursing. Graduate programs include the Master of Education in Teaching and Learning, the Master of Education in Montessori Education, the Master of Science in Nursing-Clinical Nurse Leader, and the Master of Science in Emergency Management.

Lander is a member of the Peach Belt Athletic Conference, with 11 intercollegiate athletic teams. The university’s mascot is the Bearcat.

Lander University

The Inauguration of

Richard E. Cosentino, Ph.D.

As The Twelfth President
of Lander University

Monday, March 21, 2016, At 4 p.m.

Finis Horne Arena
On the Campus of Lander University
Greenwood, South Carolina