Lander students are eligible to apply for academic scholarships, work-study jobs and loans through the Office of Financial Aid. The Department of Mass Communication and Theatre also offers several scholarships, including scholarships for freshmen and transfer students.
Departmental scholarships are made available to students through the gifts and generosity of faculty, staff and friends of Lander University.
For general university or state scholarship information visit Lander's Office of Financial Aid. Note: Some scholarships are renewable and may not be available on an annual basis.
Please send the following completed items, at least one month prior to scheduled audition/interview, to Monique Sacay-Bagwell, MCAT Scholarship Coordinator, Department of Mass Communication and Theatre, Lander University, 320 Stanley Ave., Greenwood, SC 29649:
If you have any questions or to schedule or change an Audition/Interview date, call Monique Sacay-Bagwell at 864-388-8793, or email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Prepare two (2) one-minute contrasting pieces. Be sure to select material that best represents your talents and in which you could realistically be cast. Singing, although not necessary, can be one selection choice. If you decide to sing, please do 15 bars of music plus provide your own accompaniment, such as a tape, or perform it a cappella.
Prepare a portfolio or sample of your work with background information on each piece. Samples should be no longer than three (3) minutes playing time.
- The Jean O'Brien Burns Scholarship – awarded annually to a student majoring in mass communication and theatre with a theatre emphasis who maintains a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Fine Arts Scholarships – awarded to students in art, music, theatre and dance.
- The Harry and Ruth Hakam Theatre Scholarship – awarded to a promising entering freshman on basis of their academic record, character and evidence of a strong commitment to the theatre arts.
- The Harvey Jeffreys Scholarship – awarded to students who best demonstrate initiative, creativity and promise of growth in theatre. Emphasis in selection will be placed upon entering freshmen but upperclassmen may also be considered. Selection will be made by a committee of theatre faculty.
- The Leo and Louise McMullin Mass Communication Scholarship - awarded to a student majoring in mass communication and theatre.
- The Barbara E. Richter Theatre Scholarship – awarded annually from fund income to a full-time Lander student majoring in theatre. Scholarship is renewable provided recipient remains a full-time student and maintains a 2.7 GPA.
- The Donald H. and Cynthia Y. Scott Scholarship – awarded to a resident of South Carolina and renewable provided the recipient maintains at least a 3.0 GPA.
- The Carroll Sexton Mass Communication Scholarship – awarded to a student majoring in mass communication.
- The Melvin L. Wimmer Theatre Scholarship – awarded to a full-time Lander student majoring in theatre.