Programs of Study
Why study mass communication and theatre at Lander?
With an emphasis in mass communication, you'll learn a wide array of skills... from newsgathering to editing for multiple media... from planning and assessing a public relations program to print, broadcast and online production... from media convergence to media law and ethics. You'll put your knowledge to practice in class projects, internships and cocurricular opportunities. You could report for the student newspaper, create podcasts and vodcasts for online student publications, design for Lander's student literary and art magazines or take advantage of internships in local radio, television, newspaper and print industries.
As a theatre emphasis student, you'll work closely with students majoring and minoring in music and the visual arts. You might be in a play one semester and design scenery or lighting the next. Or you could choose to participate in a college speech festival or participate in workshops conducted by visiting artists and professionals.
Did you know?
- The Lander Media Advisory Board brings a wide variety of professional expertise to campus
throughout the year.
- Lander is within driving distance to Atlanta, Ga., Charlotte, N.C., Wilmington, N.C., and Orlando, Fla. - all areas with thriving arts and cultural scenes, including theatre, television and motion picture production.
- Mass communication and theatre majors have opportunities to visit arts and cultural centers in the U.S.
- Internships are a built-in requirement of Lander’s mass communication and theatre program, helping students get started on networking as growing professionals.
- Performance training also means students need to have some training in singing and dancing to be considered a “Triple Threat” in today’s entertainment industry. Lander has added a new musical theatre minor, offering opportunities to perform in choral programs, dance concerts and musical theatre productions at the university and within the community.
The mass communication and theatre curriculum
Lander offers a diverse selection of courses and programs tailored to your professional goals.
You'll begin by establishing a strong foundation in a core program built upon: verbal and written communication. Other courses in the core help students develop skills in communicating through multiple media and give them insights into professional, theoretical, critical and historical aspects of the industry.
From there, you'll begin directing your studies to an emphasis in mass communication or theatre. Examples of course offerings are:
- Media convergence
- Writing for multiple media
- Television and radio production
- Feature and magazine writing
- Communication design
- Play direction
- Stage scenery and lighting design
- Voice and diction
For more information, check out the University Catalog
, or follow one of the links below: