Lander students are eligible to apply for academic scholarships, work-study jobs and loans through the Office of Financial Aid. The Department of History also offers several scholarships, including scholarships for freshmen and transfer students.
Departmental scholarships are made available to students majoring in English, Spanish, French and the humanities through the gifts and generosity of faculty, staff and friends of Lander University.
For general university or state scholarship information visit Lander's Office of Financial Aid. Note: Some scholarships are renewable and may not be available on an annual basis.
The Department of English and Foreign Languages scholarships will be awarded each year by a faculty committee that meets during the spring semester. Each student's current GPA and transcript will be consulted for these decisions.
To be considered, interested English and Spanish majors should submit a Letter of Interest to the department's main office by the third Monday in January. This letter may be brief, but it should describe any special qualifications or challenges that you would like the committee to take into consideration. Students do not need to apply for each scholarship individually: one letter of interest will be used for all scholarship decisions.
English and Spanish majors with GPAs of 3.0 or higher are strongly encouraged to apply.
- John A. Hare Scholarship - awarded annually from fund income to a student majoring in humanities. Selection will be based on academic ability and need and may be renewed for up to four years.
- Ann Hare Scholarship - awarded annually from fund income to a student majoring in humanities. Selection will be based on academic ability and need and may be renewed for up to four years.
- Murrell Jones Huckabee Scholarship - recipient must be from the rising senior class; must have attended Lander for the three previous years; must have a 2.5 grade point average and preferably higher; must exhibit the "spirit of Lander"; must be an English or history major; must exhibit qualities of leadership and scholarship; and must be a deserving student, not necessarily one in financial need, but one who has contributed to the strength and high ideals of Lander University.
- Larry A. Jackson Scholarship (Spanish) - awarded annually to a Spanish student whose character and high school record show promise.
- L´Alliance Française Scholarship (French) - awarded to students studying French.
- W. Pierce May Jr. Scholarship - awarded annually from fund income. Student selection will be based on need, academic achievement, and leadership potential with preference given to students majoring in English. Scholarship will be renewable provided recipient maintains a 3.0 GPA.
- Louise and Leo McMullin (Creative Writing) - awarded for Creative Writing.
- Eleanor M. Mundy Scholarship - awarded annually to an upper-division student majoring in English.
- Dr. John Marvin Rast Scholarship - awarded annually based on merit and financial need to an entering freshman majoring in an area of liberal arts. Scholarship will be continued provided recipient maintains a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Pat Sease Scholarship - awarded from fund income to an entering freshman who is interested in majoring in English or becoming a high school teacher. Recipient must have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 and be recommended by a guidance counselor. Preference will be given to students from Clinton High School. The scholarship can be renewed provided the student maintains a cumulative 3.0 GPA and is majoring in English or is in the Teacher Education Program.