Receiving awards from the Lander University College of Arts and Humanities were, pictured front row (seated), from left: Mary E. DeLong, French Award; Brandy N. Cessarich, Art Award; and Anna R. Jones, History Award and Barbara A. Jackson Award. Second row, from left: Sarah E. Dean, Turner Music Award; Miriam Alcauter-Ramirez, L’Alliance Francaise Award; Jennifer R. Ivey, Theatre Award for Excellence; Megan M. McDonnough, Spanish Award; Kelleen E. Daugherty, Mass Communication and Theatre Award; Haley E. Wallace, Margaret M. Bryant Award; and Anna K. LaGrone, Dessie Dean Pitts Humanities Award. Back row, from left: Stephen T. Sanders, English Award and Philosophy Award; Kevin A. Baggett, Turner Music Award; and Cody A. Beard, Music Award.
More than 50 Lander University students were recently honored for their scholastic accomplishments during the 2013-14 academic year, receiving the top academic discipline and special awards from the university’s four colleges. The awards were presented during Lander’s annual Academic Awards ceremony, held at the conclusion of the spring semester.
COLLEGE OF ARTS AND HUMANITIES
- Art Award – Brandy N. Cessarich, of Simpsonville
- English Award, Philosophy Award – Stephen T. Sanders, of Greenwood
- French Award – Mary E. DeLong, of Clinton
- History Award – Anna R. Jones, of Iva
- Mass Communication and Theatre Award – Kelleen E. Daugherty, of West Columbia
- Music Award – Cody A. Beard, of Greenwood
- Spanish Award – Megan M. McDonnough, of Rock Hill
- L’Alliance Française Award – Miriam Alcauter-Ramirez, of Cowpens. The award honors the French student who has demonstrated the highest scholastic achievement in French language and literature.
- Barbara A. Jackson Award – Anna R. Jones, of Iva. Established in honor of former Lander First Lady Barbara Jackson, the award recognizes the senior history major who best demonstrates scholarly excellence in his or her history thesis.
- Dessie Dean Pitts Humanities Award – Anna K. LaGrone, of Greenwood. Named in honor of Lander alumna Dessie Dean Pitts, the award is given annually to the student who writes the best nonfiction essay published in New Voices, Lander’s essay journal.
- Margaret M. Bryant Award – Haley E. Wallace, of Greenwood. The award recognizes a senior majoring in a humanities discipline who plans to enroll in graduate school and who will represent Lander University well.
- Theatre Award for Excellence – Jennifer R. Ivey, of Rock Hill. The award is based upon academic record, leadership, dedication and commitment to the theatre program.
- Music Award – Kevin A. Baggett and Sarah E. Dean, both of Greenwood. Established by 1954 alumna Gladys Winchester Turner, the award recognizes high scholastic standing and potential for making an outstanding contribution to the field of music.