More than 50 Lander University students were recently honored for their scholastic accomplishments during the 2012-13 academic year, receiving the top academic discipline and special awards from the university's four colleges. The awards were presented during Lander's annual Academic Awards ceremony, held at the conclusion of the spring semester. Receiving discipline awards from the College of Arts and Humanities were:
- Amanda Wald, of Greenwood, Art Award;
- Brittany Faulkner, of Greenwood, English Award;
- Amy Strickland, of Gaston, French Award;
- John McCravy, of Greenwood, History Award;
- Timothy Thomas, of North Augusta, Mass Communication and Theatre Award;
- Kevin Baggett, of Greenwood, Music Award;
- Joshua Watt, of Piedmont, Philosophy Award; and
- Kayla Anderson, of Bradley, Spanish Award.
Receiving special awards from the College of Arts and Humanities were:
- Lauren Shiflet, of Greenwood, the L'Alliance Française Award, honoring the French student who has demonstrated the highest scholastic achievement in French language and literature;
- Elizabeth Massey, of Saluda, the Barbara A. Jackson Award, established in honor of former Lander first lady Barbara Jackson and recognizing the senior history major who best demonstrates scholarly excellence in his or her history thesis;
- Haley Wilson, of Liberty, the Dessie Dean Pitts Humanities Award, named in honor of Lander alumna Dessie Dean Pitts and given annually to the student who writes the best nonfiction essay published in New Voices, Lander's essay journal;
- Emily Knott, of Boiling Springs, the Margaret M. Bryant Award, recognizing a senior majoring in a humanities discipline who plans to enroll in graduate school and who will represent Lander University well;
- Ryan Hewitt, of Florence, the Theatre Award for Excellence, awarded based upon academic record, leadership, dedication and commitment to the theatre program; and
- Corrie Woods, of Leavenworth, Kans., the Turner Music Medal, established by 1954 alumna Gladys Winchester Turner and recognizing high scholastic standing and potential for making an outstanding contribution to the field of music.
Receiving discipline awards from the Lander University College of Arts and Humanities were, pictured front row, from left: Amanda Wald, Art Award; Brittany Faulkner, English Award; and Joshua Watt, Philosophy Award. Back row, from left: Kevin Baggett, Music Award; and Timothy Thomas, Mass Communication and Theatre Award. Recipients not pictured were: Amy Strickland, French Award; John McCravy, History Award; and Kayla Anderson, Spanish Award.
Receiving special awards from the Lander University College of Arts and Humanities were, front row, from left: Corrie Woods, Turner Music Medal; Lauren Shiflet, L'Alliance Francaise Award; Elizabeth Massey, Barbara A. Jackson Award; and Haley Wilson, Dessie Dean Pitts Humanities Award. Back row, from left: Ryan Hewitt, Theatre Award for Excellence; and Emily Knott, Margaret M. Bryant Award.