Short Film Competition Rules
(1) Applications for the Lander Film Festival Short Film Competition will be received through March 17, 2014. Due to a limited number of slots available for the Short Film Competition, applications received after March 17, 2014, will not be accepted. The festival reserves the right to extend the deadline for submissions.
(2) There are no thematic limitations for submitted short films but applicants should use a PG-13 rating as a guideline.
(3) Applicants are required to use their own cameras and editing equipment.
(4) The running time for an entered short film must be no less than three minutes and no more than five minutes.
(5) Films that have participated in other competitions cannot compete in this competition.
(6) Films must be shot and edited in the two weeks prior to the festival: from Monday, March 17, to Monday, March 31. The completed short film must be submitted no later than Monday, March 31 at 5 p.m. to be eligible for competition.
(7) Each applicant may submit only one film.
(8) Applications can be obtained on the Lander University website or from the Lander University Department of Mass Communication and Theatre or via Lander XLR Radio Station (Paul Crutcher, station manager).
- The application package must include a completed and signed Competition Entry/Application Form.
(9) The Selection Committee will review the applications. A limited number of slots are available. The announcement of finalists in the competition will be made by the festival director who will contact each applicant by e-mail or telephone. Submitted applications will not be returned to the applicants.
(10) Those applicants selected for the competition will be given specific material that MUST be included in the finished, edited film. This material will be provided to the selected contestants on Monday, March 17, 2014, at the initial Student Short Film Competition meeting held at 5:00 p.m. in Lander's Carnell Learning Center, Room 117. All applicants selected for the competition MUST attend this initial meeting. (11)
The Festival Judges will decide and award the following prizes (subject to change):
- First Place Short Film ($100)
- Second Place Short Film ($50)
- Third Place Short Film ($25)
- High School Division Winner ($50)
- Open Division Winner ($50)
- Other awards may include a Writer's Choice Award and a Director's Choice Award
(12) The festival's winning entries will be shown as part of the 5th Annual Lander Film Festival on Saturday, April 12, at 7 p.m. at the Greenwood Community Theatre.
(13) Winning entries of the Student Short Film Competition may be rescreened or shown on the Lander website, WLGTV newscasts and other media produced by the Lander University and the Department of Mass Communication and Theatre without additional approval of the winning contestants.
(14) The members of the Student Short Film Competition jury will be appointed by the festival director and will consist of three to five members. (15)
By entering a film, applicants signify their willingness to abide by these regulations. Any issues not clarified by these regulations shall be adjudicated by the festival administration.