In the event of inclement weather or other emergency conditions, the President will consult with state officials and will issue a decision regarding the need to close or implement a delay. “Emergency conditions” means circumstances would expose employees/students to harmful or unsafe conditions.
Above all, Lander seeks to ensure the safety of all during these events. All faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to use caution and discretion when traveling to, from, and on campus to reduce their risk of injury to themselves and to others.
When inclement weather necessitates the University closing, the following procedures are provided to timely inform faculty, staff, and students of schedule changes:
- Lander Automated System – 864-388-8000
- Lander Email notification, when possible
- Lander Website – www.lander.edu
- Television Stations:
- WYFF Channel 4
- WIS Channel 10
- WSPA Channel 7
- FOX Channel 21
- WLOS Channel 13
- Radio Stations:
- Lander Radio, as applicable
- WZLA FM - 92.9
- WCRS AM - 1450
- WCZZ AM - 1090
- WHZQ FM - 94.10
- WZSN FM - 103.50
- Lander Alert – will be issued only in the event of an emergency
- If you have signed up for Lander Alert, notices, when applicable will be sent via text notices on your cell phone or email account.
- If you have NOT signed up for Lander Alert, you can do so by logging into MyLander or Bearcat Web, and clicking on the Lander Alert Sign Now link or http://mylander.lander.edu.
If an emergency has not been declared, all associates are expected to report to work as usual .If an emergency has been declared, ONLY “essential” personnel should report to work. Supervisors should maintain a current listing of “essential personnel” for their department and submit a copy to the Office of Human Resources on an annual basis. “Essential Personnel” must be designated prior to the emergency.
Compensation During Declaration of Emergency
The Governor has the ability, but is not guaranteed to provide up to 5 days paid leave to state employees for absences related to weather emergency conditions, if declared. Human Resources would notify employees of this decision as it becomes effective. Of the Governor does not grant paid leave, employees have the following 3 options to account for time missed.
- Use annual or compensatory leave to make up lost time.
- Elect to take leave without pay.
- Be allowed to make up time lost from work at a time scheduled by the supervisor or University. Associates must be given the option of making up the time lost from work if they so desire.