Requirements to Qualify for Admission
A. Prelicensure Students
- Meet the University requirements for admission.
- Score a combined verbal and quantitative SAT score of at least 1000 or better, or an ACT score of 22 or better.
The combined verbal and quantitative SAT score of at least 1000 or ACT 22
is required because these tests are established indicators of academic
ability. The prenursing curriculum coursework emphasizes chemistry,
math, and other applied sciences which require a high level of
Those students who do not score at least 1000
on the SAT or at least 22 on the ACT will be classified as a "nursing
applicant". As a nursing applicant a student may still become eligible
for the nursing major. If a student chooses to retest on the SAT or ACT
and makes at least a 1000 on the SAT or a 22 composite score on the ACT
prior to entering Lander University, he/she can be reconsidered for
acceptance into prenursing.
Nursing major application process
who wish to be considered for admission to the nursing major as a
sophomore must apply in writing to the Department of Nursing. New
classes are admitted twice each year, once in the fall and once in the
spring. Applications for admission to the major are due by April 30 for
fall admission and by October 15 for spring admission.
Application for Admission to the Major
Applicants must meet all 4 of these requirements to be considered for admission to the nursing major as a sophomore.
- "C" or higher in 7 required courses - ENGL 101-102, MATH 121/123/131, CHEM 105/111, CHEM 106/112, BIOL 202 (Human Anatomy), BIOL 203 (Human Physiology). A grade of "C" or above is required in mathematics, writing, chemistry,
and biology. Nursing education is a cumulative process, in which the
prerequisite course sequence establishes a foundation for subsequent
content mastery in nursing courses and successful entry into practice.
- GPA requirement:
- If a current Lander student (prenursing or other majors):
Must have taken at least 30 semester hours of college-level coursework earning a Lander Institutional GPA of at least 2.6 and a GPA of 2.6 on REQUIRED PREREQUISITE COURSES as listed above in #1 INCLUDING THOSE TAKEN AT ANY INSTITUTION OF HIGHER EDUCATION.
- If a transfer student:
at least 30 semester hours (not counting developmental courses) of college work including 12 semester hours at Lander with a cumulative Lander Institutional GPA of at least 2.6 and a GPA of 2.6 on REQUIRED COURSES INCLUDING THOSE TAKEN AT ANY INSTITUTION OF HIGHER EDUCATION
- If already possess a baccalaureate degree (must first be admitted to Lander University):
at least cumulative GPA of 2.6 (not rounded) on previous baccalaureate degree college work AND a 2.6 GPA on required prerequisite courses as listed above in #1 including those taken at any institution of higher education; otherwise, must meet transfer student GPA requirements listed in “b” above.
- Application to Nursing Major submitted by the respective deadline (April 30 or October 15)
- Deadline for completed application is April 30 or October 15, respectively
- Admission decisions made by May 31 or November 1, respectively
- Completion of Clinical Agency Health Screening Requirements due to Department of Nursing office by July 10 or December 1, respectively. Any student not meeting this deadline will forfeit his/her seat in the class.
Admission is contingent on maintaining a GPA of at least 2.6 and "C"
or higher in all required courses. Students admitted to the nursing
major will start sophomore nursing courses, complete 6 semesters of
nursing courses in sequence, and graduate in three years (In the event
there are more qualified applicants than space available, admission to
the major will be determined by the nursing faculty based on the Lander
institutional GPA on required courses of each student).
Timeline and Additional Information about fall admission.
Timeline and Additional Information about spring admission
- Deadline for completed application is April 30
- Admission decisions made by May 31.
clinical clearance materials due by July 17; any student not meeting
this deadline will forfeit his/her seat in the class.
- Admission contingent on maintaining GPA >2.6 in any summer school course
sophomore nursing courses in fall semester; complete 6 semesters of
nursing courses in sequence and graduate in May three years later
(example: begin courses September 2010 and graduate May 2013).
Must complete required nursing major courses within 5 years prior to graduation.
- Deadline for completed application is October 15
- Admission decisions made by November 1
clinical clearance materials due by December 1; any student not meeting
this deadline will forfeit his/her seat in the class
- Admission contingent on maintaining GPA > 2.6 in any fall courses
sophomore nursing courses in spring semester; complete 6 semesters of
nursing courses in sequence and graduate in December three years later
(example: begin courses January 2011 and graduate December 2013).