Programs of Study
- BS in Music
- BS in Music, K-12 Teacher Certification
- Minor available in music
For full degree requirements, program goals and more, visit the department's section of the university catalog.
Why study music at Lander?
Lander’s Department of Music provides a nurturing environment for the growth and development of student musicians. Whether you are interested in pursuing a career in music, are considering the minor in music as a supplement to another major, or are content simply to sharpen your instrumental or vocal talents through participation in an ensemble, Lander is prepared to lead you down your chosen creative path.
Our students are challenged to recognize, to understand, and to practice the technique and the self-discipline involved in the creation of music. Integral to the music-making process, concentration, communication, and cooperation are life skills which Lander musicians will utilize for years to come.
The music curriculum
Designed within the tradition of a liberal arts education, the Bachelor of Science in music degree program combines a strong music component with a broad menu of electives, allowing you to tailor the program to your individual needs and career goals.
The solid complement of music and education courses prescribed by the Bachelor of Science in Music, K-12 Teacher Certification degree program is intended to equip the future music teacher with the tools necessary not only to become certified in the state of South Carolina, but more importantly to embark on a career as a professional music educator.
Both degree programs require the student to demonstrate competencies concerning a common body of musical knowledge, including performance, aural skills and analysis, composition and improvisation, music history and repertory, and technology. One-on-one applied study is available in baritone horn,bassoon, clarinet, euphonium, flute, French horn, guitar, oboe, organ, percussion, piano, saxophone, strings, trombone, trumpet, tuba, and voice. Numerous opportunities exist for you to gain practical experience by performing in departmental recitals, with principal ensembles, on chamber concerts, on the Lander University Honors Recital, and in solo recital.
Lander's music program is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
Did you know?
- Lander music majors have performed in on-campus master classes offered by musical greats such as jazz violinist Regina Carter, pianist Olga Kern, the American Brass Quintet and Synergy Brass.
- Lander's premier music ensembles and soloists are featured annually in a Collage Concert. This is a dynamic musical presentation of rapid-fire performances from stage right, stage left, off stage and center stage.
- Hundreds of students from high schools all over South Carolina participate each year in the Lander Choral Festival.
- Students can explore music's impact on American and foreign culture by visiting arts and cultural centers in the U.S. and abroad.
- The Department of Music received recognition for an Outstanding Job Shadowing Experience from the South Carolina Department of Education’s Office of Career and Technology Education at the South Carolina Education and Business Summit.
For more information, browse the University Catalog
, or follow one of the links below: