Lander students are eligible to apply for academic scholarships, work-study jobs and loans through the Office of Financial Aid. The Department of History also offers several scholarships, including scholarships for freshmen and transfer students.
Departmental scholarships are made available to students majoring in history and the humanities through the gifts and generosity of faculty, staff, and friends of Lander University.
For general university or state scholarship information, visit Lander's Office of Financial Aid. Note: Some scholarships are renewable and may not be available on an annual basis.
Recipients of the scholarships are determined each spring semester for the succeeding academic year. All departmental faculty members participate in a review of all eligible students. As relevant, evaluation for eligibility and the award of scholarships are based on the following factors:
- cumulative hours earned at Lander and/or other institutions
- cumulative GPR
- classroom performance
- breadth of the student's curriculum
- demonstrated leadership
- service to the department and the university
- other qualifying data unique to each scholarship
No formal application for the scholarships is required.
- Mary Neel Baker Scholarship – awarded to an outstanding history major
- Gilbert Sumter Guinn Scholarship – awarded to an outstanding history major
- E. Don Herd Scholarship – awarded to an outstanding entering freshman or transfer student majoring in history
- Murrell J. Huckabee Scholarship – awarded to an outstanding history or English major (the scholarship is awarded jointly with the Department of English and Foreign Languages)
- Barbara A. Jackson Scholarship – awarded to an outstanding history major committed to study abroad for a semester
- William Ricketson Scholarship – alternates between an outstanding history major and an outstanding student minoring in anthropology (the scholarship is awarded jointly with the Department of Political and Social Sciences)